What is Dance Therapy
Dance therapy uses the potential of dance for healing and growth. It works with the body and its movements and addresses the accumulated experience of life stored in our bodies. This helps us re-work the things that have forged and continue to forge our lives.
For this reason dance therapy is used widely for the treatment of mental health problems but also to further self-experience and personal growth. In numerous clinics it is an established part of the treatment, ranging from psychiatric through psychosomatic to pain clinics.
As a dance therapist I find it important to build sustainable relationships with clients based on mutual respect and appreciation. An important part of my work is to accompany people in exploring their life and support them in changing it in ways that are good for them. Like dance, therapy is communication.
As a sociologist I focus not only on individual but also on social conditions. I want to accompany people and support them as they find ways of dealing with the individual and social conditions they are facing.
Diversity and Inclusion
Based in my own queer experience as well as my work on racism, gender and sexuality, disablement and inclusion I strive for a practice that is sensitive of and respectful to diversity. This includes continuous reflection of my own at times privileged position. In this way I want to contribute to developing therapeutic services that empower people to deal with social conditions rather then cementing them.
Below you will find more information about my therapeutic services as well as Workshops & Dance Practice.
Dance Therapy Consultations
At this point I do not offer individual dance therapy sessions. I rather work intermittently in hospitals in and outside of Berlin as part of work shadowing placements and substitutions. In the future I will offer individual sessions as well. My workshops rather have a focus on self-experience.
Please do not hesitate to contact me. I'm also available to work as a substitute for limited periods of time.
Workshops & Dance Practice
Workshops and classes may focus more on self-experience or rather more on dance itself.
- Mondays, 20:00: 1-2 times per month I take turn with others to teach contact improvisation for broadly conceived queer men* at Village e.V. at this point as DisDance. You find the dates in the News section as well as at the bottom of the web page.
coming up/in the making
- 29.9.-1.10.2023: Workshop "With myself/with you -- how do I want to live? Traversing the relationship jungle with body work, dance and nature" together with Steffen Taubert at Waldschlösschen
- Workshop "Queer Nature - Bodywork and Dance in Nature" together with Steffen Taubert
- 28.10.2022: Workshop "Dancing Queen - a baroque dance indulgence" as part of the Stretch Festival.
- 16.4.22: Workshops “Queer Nature Inside", together with Steffen Taubertand "Dancing Queen - A Baroque Dance Indulgence for Queer Men*" both at Stretch Festival.
- 08.2021: Queer Nature 1-day workshop for queer men* in nature (body work and dance) via Village e.V. Berlin (together with Steffen Taubert)
- 04.2020: Close Distance / Distant Closeness, online-workshop free improvisation as part of the Stretch Festival
- 10.2020: Wieder raus ins Leben – Schutz und Nähe gestalten. 1-day workshop for queer men* (body work and dance) with Authentic Eros (together with Steffen Taubert)
- 10.2020: Moving and Sharing in Your Very Own Queer Space; online-workshop free improvisation as part of the Stretch Festival
- 10.2020: Moving and Sharing in Your Very Own Queer Space; online-workshop free improvisation as part of the Queer Hearts Festival
- 09/09.2020: TreeDance; 3-part workshop free improvisation in nature for queer men*, Berlin